Sunday, August 5, 2012

An exciting day!

Guess what happened today??

We didn't win the publisher's clearing house $5,000 a week for life prize (I know, that's what you thought it was, right??) . ;)
We aren't pregnant.
We went running this morning around Patriot Lake at Shelby Farms, and it was great.
We said farewell to some sweet friends who are moving back near where their families are. Best wishes and lots of love to them.

Also....(and this is the exciting part!!)

We got our first chicken egg!!!!!


I seriously almost burst into tears when Ethan brought it to me, his eyes shining with a huge grin on his adorable face.

It was freckled, tiny, and beautiful.


Also it was delicious.

We fried it right up in some butter (because E dropped the egg and cracked the shell) and oh. my. gracious me.


It was DELICIOUS.

Bright orange yolk full of gorgeous nutrients...MM!
If you've never had a free-range mostly grass fed chicken egg, you have to try one. Right now.
You'll never want to buy eggs from the store again!

I'm so excited to see the rest of our chickens start laying, it's going to be fun!
In the meantime, does anyone have advice about actually getting your hens to lay eggs IN the nesting box?

Ethan found ours in the yard, right by the back fence where the hens like to hang out and take dust baths but I'd really rather them lay eggs in the nesting boxes. So if you know, please tell me!!
I read something about keeping the hens in the coop til mid morning because that's when they usually lay?? Does that work?
I don't know.
I suppose only time will tell. :)

Also tonight, we pulled up our dead squash plants and found these cute little snakes under the dirt.


We all held then and visited with them for a minute, then we let them go back to their home.


Eliana laughed and said the snake was licking her when she saw it's little tongue flicking in and out. :)


That's all for tonight.

I'll be back in a few days with a sewing project: how to renew your cloth shoes (aka knock-off TOMS because I can't afford to pay that much for shoes) by re-upholstering them. Fun!

No comments: