Friday, April 13, 2012

Food Waste Friday: Curry

Hello!
I missed posting last week as we were getting ready to go out of town and our computer was getting fixed.
I think I had a little bit of waste, but not much. (I don't remember for sure.)

This past week, we did really well eating up leftovers and such, the only thing we wasted was about two lunch-sized servings of chickpea curry.



It was really good, but I made a big pot of it right before we went out of town for 3 days, then when we came back we were eating leftovers from our trip and it just sat in the fridge too long. Poor curry.
It's one of our family's favorite meals and usually doesn't go uneaten, but it was to the point of everything getting a little bit weird in texture, so I decided to toss it.


That's all the waste for this week!
I have to say, that's not too shabby, considering our fridge is filled to the brink with produce. We just got a blender and have been making lots of smoothies- it's so nice to have lots of fruit in the house.
Aldi had a sale for Pineapple this week for 99 cents, so I got two of them and they are so delicious!
I'm really loving shopping at Aldi, although I don't buy meats there. (I've gotten bone bits in the ground beef twice from there, so I decided to shop elsewhere for my meats.)
Anyway, hopefully next week I don't have a lot of waste because my fruit went bad.

I've been dehydrating potatoes and making soup mixes out of my root vegetables that are getting slightly soft and it's so pretty to see them up there on the shelf, waiting to be used on a rainy day.


Left to right: dehydrated banana chips; soup mix of potato, carrots, cabbage, onion and celery;
natural orange cleaner (still brewing) and dehydrated onions.

I guess I've rambled on long enough, so I hope you have a wonderful Friday and great weekend! ;)



This post is linked to The Frugal Girl, who is the brains behind all of this food waste documentation

3 comments:

Live and Learn said...

Never thought about dehydrating potatoes that are getting old. I'll have to give that some thought.

Jen @ Dear Mommy Brain said...

It seems I can never get my portions right. Either I don't make enough and we don't have leftovers for lunches, or I make too much and it sits in the fridge.

Becca Swan said...

Jen, I go back and forth too- one trick I use all the time is to just freeze the extras, although a lot of times I forget to do that and end up with waste. I usually just make enough of chilis and curries and soups to have at least two meals out of it and hope we eat the leftovers. :)