Friday, March 23, 2012

Food Waste Friday- Almost...

Wow, it's Friday already!



FoodWasteFriday

So, I did MUCH better than last week, but still managed to waste one thing:

Stuffed peppers.


I'm pretty sad about this too. This was one of those meals I'd been looking forward to for a couple of days and then I finally got around to making them and they were just...not really very good.
I know what happened. I haven't made them in a really long time and I think last time I used a seasoned, boxed rice mix and this time I made up my own concoction which my taste buds rejected and refused to eat more than one meal's worth.
Next time, boxed rice it is. (Uncle Ben's Jambalya rice, to be exact)

Also, I dehydrated 2 bananas that were about to go bad, but then they stuck so badly to the dehydrator that they broke into tiny pieces when I tried to pull them out. They went in the compost. So I wasted two things. I've never been good at math, either. ;)


On the saving food front, I managed to use up the rest of the Greek salad dressing languishing in our fridge (expiration date april 12) by making Greek chicken and rice. It was so yummy I forgot to take a picture.


We were able to eat up all of the cilantro ( that never happens!) that was about to go wilty in the fridge this week too. I chopped it up and made tacos for our small group and the 14 of us made quick work of that cilantro. :) We also gorged ourselves on danishes afterwards. mmm!

How did you do this week??


This post is shared at The Frugal Girl, who is the brains behind all of this food waste documentation


3 comments:

Jess said...

I love cilantro. We never have a problem using that up - goes in burritos, on omelettes, in soups.

It stinks though, when food you were looking forward to just doesn't turn out. That happened to me with a curry soup before, so disappointed.

Live and Learn said...

I have never dehydrated bananas before. Do you usually have problems with sticking?

Becca Swan said...

I dehydrated a couple of batches of bananas the week before and didn't have a problem at all. I'm wondering if it's because these bananas were really ripe and the other's were just getting ripe and it had something to do with the sugar content? I'm not sure, but they definitely wouldn't come off very easily.
Dehydrated bananas are like candy though- they are SO good and sweet. You should try it. I've heard putting parchment paper down on the trays helps things not stick. I'll have to try that next time.