Saturday, February 4, 2012

Re-purposed Scarf and French Press

Hello!

Today I'm sharing a simple way to change up the look of your house, when you want something "new" but don't necessarily want to go out and buy new things.

Over the years, I've had to use my imagination and creativity to re-purpose many things to serve a different function simply because we didn't have the money to buy pieces to brighten up our house.
It's become kind of fun to try and figure out what I can use things for; almost anything can be re-purposed to fill a space in a different way than it was intended.

Here is an easy change-up I did today. It only took me maybe 5 minutes and I like the simple look:


My amazing hubby brought me tulips and chocolate covered pretzels home last night because I'd had an emotionally draining day- my dad went to the hospital with signs of a heart attack and it was really scary.
He lives across the country, so it's not like I could just go be with him, which was really hard.
Everything turned out okay- my dad is home and didn't have a heart attack, Praise God!

But it was still a fearful, draining day full of phone calls and texting and waiting on pins and needles.
Hubby is so kind and loving, he brought me these home to brighten the evening and help me feel better.
The pretzels are long gone. They were so good! :) And did I mention tulips are one of my favorite flowers??





Notice that the flowers aren't in a regular old vase, though.
They're in a french press coffee pot.
The top of the french press broke a while ago and rather than throw the pretty glass bottom part away, I've been using it for a vase. That's one easy way to re-purpose containers. I also use empty, clean pasta sauce jars as vases and old spice jars as bud vases. In the spring, its easy to fill our house with flowers from the garden without having to buy vases and they look pretty and homey.




Next up: I used a scarf of mine as a table runner.
I love this scarf and wear it occasionally; but it was just sitting in my closet and I wanted something to dress up our pallet table while I wash the tablecloth I usually put on there.
Enter the scarf. It's just the right length, has fun tassels and the kids think it makes a cool place to play "camping". :)




Depending on the size of your table, you could also use a pretty sheet as a table cloth. I just don't happen to have one at the moment. Thrift stores are great places to find cool vintage fabrics as well, if you want to spend a little bit but not too much. I've found several cool items at thrift stores for just a few dollars.

Here's a challenge for you:
Look around your house and see your belongings with different eyes. What else could they be used for?
Move something to a different room, use something in another way. It's fun to figure out what could go where; it gives your house a fresh "new" look and it doesn't cost a dime!

I'd love to hear ways you re-purpose things you already have!

No comments: