Tuesday, May 17, 2011

In a food rut? Break out! Try this yummy, healthy meal.

Lately I've been feeling like my family had fallen into the all-too-familiar rut of seemingly eating the same meals, week in and week out and I was craving some change. So I went to my trusty Recipe Journal and thumbed through it to see what was hiding in there that I may have missed, or that recipe I keep putting off making for no real reason other than to think, 'hm that looks good but maybe kind of hard...' Or just, 'nah, not this time..'

A word about my Recipe Journal- I highly recommend you have one or something like it. Its wonderful. Its just a blank book from Ina Garten's Barefoot Countessa that I write down all of my recipes in that I want to try, or have tried and like, or that I make up that actually turn out. (there aren't many in the last category. I am a recipe follower to the core.) I make notes on modifications I make to the recipes, if they were lacking in any way, ideas for next time.  Anyway, then all of the good recipes are in one book and I don't have to go looking through 5 recipe books to find that perfect recipe. Yes. Go get one. Or just use a blank notebook. Whatever works for you. I know they have online databases that one can keep as well, with a list of all your fave recipes...but I'm not that high tech. And I like paper. ;)

This is what we had last night for dinner. It was a perfect spring/summer meal; very colorful (which is important to me) and not too heavy yet filling.


Chicken with Shallots and Mashed Sweet Potatoes
It really turned out well, and simple, and flavorful! MM. Just looking at it almost makes me hungry again.
I used to subscribe to  Real Simple Magazine, and that's where I got this recipe. Go on over there and check it out. You know you want to. This recipe is! Real! Simple! :)  Have fun! 

Note: I added peppers to my shallots just because I had some in my fridge that needed to be eaten. And some cilantro as a garnish because I absolutely love cilantro. Feel free to make modifications of your own, and let me know what you did and how it turned out!




 

No comments: