Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Natural Body Care Series: Breakfast Face Mask

Hi, I'm back with another installment of the Natural Body Care Series.

I have a new page dedicated solely to this topic, so go check it out!


The Breakfast Face Mask









Today I'm going to share another face mask with you, one that I made up myself using ingredients that I bet you have in your very own kitchen.

Are you wondering why it's called the 'Breakfast Face Mask'?
Because it's made out of common breakfast ingredients!
I tried this mask and it smells amazing, feels great and has great exfoliating and moisturizing properties.
My kids thought I was crazy for putting this on my face but hey, it was fun to kind of startle them with my black face.

Here is what I used in the face mask, along with what each ingredient does for you:

Oatmeal-
Moisturizes and softens skin, reduces redness and helps prevent skin from looking dull.

Coffee-
The caffeine in coffee is known to reduce puffiness by shrinking the skin cells,has antioxidants which are great for blocking free radicals and when finely ground it also makes a great exfoliator.

Honey-
Local raw honey works wonders on all sorts of things, your skin being just one of them. It moisturizes, helps heal blemishes and burns and reduces inflammation of the skin.

Cinnamon-
Cinnamon has been used for centuries for skin ailments. It has anti-microbial and antibacterial properties and helps generate the replacement of collagen, which we lose as we age.

( A spoonful of raw honey and cinnamon mixed together helps get rid of colds too, try it sometime!)


Okay, so to make this mask, simply pour some honey into a dish, then sprinkle in some cinnamon.


(sorry, I didn't measure. Just do a few shakes of cinnamon, and probably about 1/4 cup of honey.)
Then, pour about 1/4 cup rolled oats into a coffee grinder.
Our coffee grinder already had a bit of coffee grounds in it left over from this morning, which is why I ended up using coffee in the mask!


Just use a couple of teaspoons of coffee grounds, ground finely.
Grind the oats (and coffee, if needed) finely in the grinder, about 15-20 seconds.


Then, when it looks like sand, pour into the honey/cinnamon mixture.
Stir, adding more honey if necessary. (I had to.)

This is before I added more honey.
This is the consistency you want. You could do a bit thicker, but only a little bit.


Then, carefully spread it on your face, taking care around your eyes, and leave it on for 5-10 minutes.
My face felt tingly after probably 3 minutes, and I left the mask on for about 8 minutes.




Rinse well, exfoliating as you splash warm water on your face and be really careful not to get any in your eyes! I didn't get any in mine, but it's so grainy that it would HURT if you did. So be forewarned.
Once your skin is clean, follow with your regular moisturizer.

My skin felt nice and soft and clean afterwards, although for a minute my face was red since I have such fair skin and exfoliating it always makes it a bit rosy. The redness faded in 2 or 3 minutes though, and my skin was so soft!
I will definitely do this again!

I think my next post in this series will be homemade tooth powder, I'm so excited to try it and see how it works!



This is shared at Frugally Sustainable's Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways

No comments: