Monday, June 25, 2012

Knitting Needle Holder

Here's a fun fact about me:
I recently started teaching myself to knit!
Honestly, it's easier than I thought it was going to be.
For some reason I always thought it would be hard because all the ladies I know who knit are super smart and seem to be more of the "Type A" personality, so I thought I'd have trouble with it since I am most definitely not a logical thinker.

Guess what?
It's not too hard to learn to knit. You just have to keep track of the stitches, and the tension of the yarn in your hand.
I just went to Wal-Mart and bought a "teach yourself how to knit" kit,
some fat needles 
(the kit comes with needles but I wanted big fat ones to start since it's easier to knit with those ones)
 and of course, some yarn.


Then, I practiced and practiced and got frustrated and tried again and practiced some more.
I am by NO means "good" at knitting yet, but I'm much better than I was a few weeks ago!


Anyway, since I have all of these knitting accessories, I need somewhere to keep them.


Where did I look for inspiration?

Pinterest, of  course!



I found this:

Source

Perfect.

I tried my hand at making my own, although I didn't follow the directions on the original site completely.
I just winged it, and it (amazingly) worked out.

I found some cute fabric I've had lying around for literally 5 years and measured a big enough square to fit inside my 12" embroidery hoop;



 then sewed a pocket onto it, then simply sewed lines down the pocket (marking where to sew with pins)



and then ta-da!



My version of the knitting needle holder.





I want to make like a thousand of these and hang them everywhere.
Okay, maybe not a thousand, but they are really cute, and I'll probably make a few more for holding stuff in my craft room.
 I love that I can hang this up on the wall and  1.) free up shelving space  but more importantly, 2.) keep my knitting needles out of the kid's reach. Because I know two little munchkins who would love to have a sword fight with a few of them. ;)







2 comments:

Kim Jay...Everyday said...

I LOVE this! I'm in the process of designing and organizing my new sewing room since Charlie have up the bonus room to me. I'm gonna make a million of these, too!!!

Becca Swan said...

Awesome!! :) Yeah, I definitely need to make a few more to hold some sewing supplies like zippers and bias tape and velcro and stuff. Yay for sewing rooms!