Friday, October 21, 2011

Food Waste Friday, October 21, 2011

Hi!
I missed last week, as you may or may not have noticed.

 Last week was one of those weeks where I just didn't care if I took a picture of my food waste or not, of even if I wasted food. So I didn't post.
( Can we say PMS, anyone? Yep.)
 I was also busy with the Kids' Week Clothing Challenge, found hereherehere and here. With all that sewing, I was a little distracted. :)

This week I mostly wasted little bits of stuff.
Like, this cilantro that went brown overnight.


Or, this tiny leftover bit of macaroni and cheese.




Or, these carrots and apples that didn't get finished from snack time.


That little thing on the plate is not a dead fly, I promise! I think it's a bit of tomato or apple.


The cilantro, apples and carrots went into the compost, so the main thing I wasted was the mac and cheese.
And the little bits of oats from breakfast that didn't get eaten, but I've kind of given up counting those because its just a few bites.

Not too shabby.

Oh, I wanted to also mention this: I made Laundry Detergent this morning. Last time I made it was on May 10. This means that it lasted me five months!

This is everything you need, right here.



My 5 gallon bucket I use to store it in, along with the grater I use for the Ivory.

Yep. 5 months of laundry, from one batch of  powdered detergent.
 All for a fraction of the cost of store-bought detergent.
So. If you would like to save some money on laundry, try making your own detergent! It's definitely worth the 5 or so minutes it takes to grate the soap and stir everything up. And you don't have any extra chemicals or weird scents in your laundry. I really like having unscented laundry. If you want to add some essential oil or extract to scent your laundry soap, you can but my hubby is allergic to scented stuff, so we just go free and clear. Try it out! You may like it, and will save some cash.



Linking to The Frugal Girl, who is the brains behind all of this Food Waste Documentation. :)


No comments: