Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cow Meat Chili

I feel I may be on a recipe-posting kick here soon. Or now.

It's fall- time to break out all of those comfort foods that stick with us and help us stay nice and warm and cozy.
And hopefully not gain a few pounds in the process!

Here is a healthy version (at least I think it's somewhat healthy!) of chili that our family absolutely loves. My husband requests it regularly- I make sure I always have the ingredients on hand so I can whip up a batch whenever we feel a hankerin' for it.
The kids have even given it the incredibly appetizing title of "Cow Meat Chili". :)
Because it is beef and black bean chili, and for some reason eating something with the words 'cow meat' in it is cooler than just calling it beef.
Anyway.




Our chiropractor's office is having a chili cook off today and I'm entering my "famous cow meat chili" in it!
I thought I'd share the recipe with you as well, so you can enjoy some yummy cow meat too! lol
This is kind of cracking me up, writing cow meat over and over again! Sorry if you are a vegetarian or something...you might have already stopped reading by now anyway.

So.
Cow Meat Chili:

Take an onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, and some sweet peppers and chop them up.
Throw them into a large pot that you've sprayed with cooking spray. (I have a dutch oven that I use.)
I started the veg in a regular pan but then realized I wouldn't have enough room for the meat, so I transferred it to the dutch oven. That's why you see more than one pan, for you eagle-eyed people.



Let cook until the onions are somewhat translucent, then add your ground beef. I mean cow meat.
I use organic grass fed beef that is 85/15 in leanness and it is delicious. I don't have to drain the fat off because, well there isn't hardly any! Just super good steak-like flavor.

Mmm. Beefy Goodness.

Brown your meat.
When all the pink is gone (or most of it,) add 1 tsp paprika, 2tsp ground cumin and 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper. Stir it all around and let it cook for a minute. It will smell heavenly. If heaven is spicy. I think it is.


Then add 1-28 oz can of diced tomatoes, or if you're out of them (like I am right now) use about 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes, or you can use 2 or 3 fresh, chopped tomatoes.

This can looks small in the picture, but it's really 6lbs 9oz of tomatoes from Costco. Love it!
One can lasts me a whole month.

Also, add about 1 1/2 cups of corn, frozen or canned.
(Which I am currently also out of, sadly. They add a nice sweetness to the chili.)
And of course you can't forget the black beans!




Use 2-15 oz cans or about 4 cups of black beans, if you've cooked them from dry beans
Also add a good dollop of medium salsa; about 1 cup.
Mix all together, taste to see if it's spicy enough for your taste, or if it needs salt, pepper, etc.
Let simmer for at least 20 min. or if you like, put it in the crockpot  on low to cook all day. It just gets more flavorful and yummier the longer it simmers.


Serve with cilantro, sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips and salsa.
This makes about  6-8  big bowls of chili. We usually have it for dinner and then leftovers for lunch the next day and it is so good.
Perfect for cool fall weather and football. Or hockey, because that is what I prefer.


No comments: