Friday, August 5, 2011

Food Waste Friday, August 5, 2011

Food Waste Friday- where I  show all of you pictures of how I failed at using up food this week in an effort to reduce food waste and save money. The inspiration for this came from Kristen, aka "The Frugal Girl"

 Hello friends, today I am sharing how I completely dropped the ball this week.
Not sure why, it just happened. I somehow ended up with lots of waste.



I think part of it is that the kids are starting to eat more oats in the morning, so we've been making more. But we haven't quite gotten the exact amount that we will eat figured out yet.
So, just take this picture, and multiply it by about four...



Yep, four days of wasting oats. I should have taken the leftovers and put them in the fridge to make muffins or bread or something, but I never got to it.
Also for some reason this week, Eliana decided not to eat any of her dinner...twice. She's usually my good eater! I think she's still getting over her cold she's had the past week and a half, and it's affecting her appetite.
Ethan didn't finish his either, or his salad, and the oats are left over from breakfast.




Next up: the freezer.
I thought I didn't have anything that was old, or going bad in there. Until I found this yesterday as I was putting 8 bags of black beans in to freeze...this was hiding in the door.



March 2010!!?!  I'm guessing they aren't good anymore. And obviously I never use just egg whites for anything. Into the trash they went.


Oh, and I bought a big, 1 lb container of cherry tomatoes this week because they were way on sale, and found these:







On a positive note, I did manage to save some jalapenos that had been hiding in the fridge, given to me from a friend's garden. I chopped them up and popped them into the freezer. We also bought  a whole case of peaches to freeze and maybe make into jam. I'm so excited! I love peaches.




 And we've done pretty well at eating leftovers this week. (mostly because we don't have any "fun" food to eat- tomorrow is grocery shopping day.)  Hopefully next week I will do better!!

Stay tuned..
And check back later because I'm going to post the big reveal of our DIY pallet table that we made this past week- it's all done! We ate dinner at it last night, and let me tell you, it is wonderful to not be cramped and squished together while eating! Don't take that spacious table you have for granted. :)
See you soon!


Linking to The Frugal Girl


Yep. Four days of wasted oats. I should put the leftovers in the fridge and make bread or muffins out of them...but I didn't.

No comments: