Friday, July 8, 2011

Food Waste Friday, July 8, 2011

Hey, its Friday!

This means I post my food waste for the week for the world to see..It's a great idea started by Kristen at  The Frugal Girl.

I am so  happy to report that I have virtually no food waste this week! Yay!!!
It probably has something to do with the fact that my  mother-in-law and sister-in-law stopped by for a few days on their way to Florida and helped us eat all of our food. (That's not a complaint, its a "thank you!")

The only thing that went to waste this week, other than a few bites of the kid's food that they didn't finish was this 6-inch sub from Subway that didn't get eaten on Sunday night.









 We went to watch fireworks and got Subway for dinner (an economical and healthier choice- it was only $10 for our family of 4!) but alas, poor little Ethan got sick and didn't eat his sandwich. (We'd just come from a pick-your-own-toppings frozen yogurt place and he picked out way too much candy. Hard lesson, but well learned.) I saved it in the fridge for a few days, but 80+ degree heat for a couple hours + ranch dressing = not really sure if its a good idea to eat...so I chucked it into the garbage.

 I think we just plain forgot to give Eliana her half of the sandwich. Oops. I don't think she really minded, as she was busy eating chips and queso and salsa. That girl loves her salsa! She will dip just her fingers in and lick them off and go in again for more. Gross, yes. We always stop her when we catch her doing that. ;)

The rest of the week we ate up leftovers from the weekend, and enjoyed some yummy tacos for dinner last night. Hopefully nothing we bought this week at the grocery store this week ends up on here next week. We'll see! I hope your week was good, how did you do at not wasting food??




Linking to The Frugal Girl

2 comments:

Breanne C. said...

I just want to let you know---that these Food Waste Fridays have inspired me to cut back on what i make. I use my mom's recipes a lot but don't think of cutting it in half from what she would make for 4. This week I cut 2 different recipes in half! We ate all of it which was great since we don't eat leftovers very well!
So thank you!

Becca Swan said...

That's great, Breanne! I'm glad its making a difference in your food waste too. :)
It's made me really aware of how much food I make and if I make more than I think we'll eat (counting leftovers for lunches, etc.) then I am much more interested in figuring out how to use it up or freezing it instead of just letting it go bad like I used to. You're Welcome :)